Location: Chisinau, MOLDOVA
Application Deadline: 03-Nov-13
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Languages Required: English Russian
Starting Date: 01-Jan-2014
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract: one year
Expected Duration of Assignment: annual extension
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT Associate, direct supervisor, and Operations Manager, secondary supervisor, the ICT Assistant provides ICT and administrative support services to the ICT unit, and daily technical support to the users of the information management tools and technology infrastructure in UN House, UNDP Country Office and projects. ICT Assistant must diagnose computer hardware, network systems and computer software programs accurately and efficiently. The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach and provide all necessary support to ensure smooth operation in every workplace. The ICT Assistant works in close collaboration with Programme and Operations teams for resolving ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide efficient and timely support to users, acting as an ICT Helpdesk focal point:
- Inform and train users in equipment and software operation; analyze and make recommendations on response time, training design, user support needs, and customer satisfaction.
- Receive, log, and route user calls for assistance or repair; monitor trouble call/resolution information; follow-up on and report aged calls to ensure timely response.
- Help UNDP CO users in backing up and restoring their files.
- Provide support to UNDP CO users in virus detection, removal and prevention.
- Respond to UNDP CO users’ needs and questions related to software troubleshooting, hardware issues and network access.
- Assist users of undp.org email accounts, including in password resetting.
- Provide support to users regarding telephone billing system and telephone system usage.
2) Ensure effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages:
- Perform specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Assist in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades.
- Assist in upgrading patch and anti-virus programs on a timely basis.
- Monitor the file server traffic, its usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis.
3) Provide support to ICT Associate in networks and systems administration:
- Set up new users' accounts and profiles and deal with password issues.
- Assist in trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware/software faults.
- Oversees installation and provides direction to technicians engaged in the installation and maintenance of hardware components.
- Assist in backup and restoration procedures for local drives and in organization of off-site storage of backups.
- Ensure maintenance of backup logs.
- Research, evaluate, test hardware and software products, and systems solutions; install, configure and test hardware and software, prepare reports and proposals for service.
- Administer the telephone billing system.
4) Provide administrative support:
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware.
- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials.
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required.
- Act as focal point of technical, technical logistics and training support for the conference events, which take place in the UNDP Moldova conference facilities.
- Provide IT support to the UNDP Moldova projects and UN Agencies in accordance with agreements/memorandums of understanding between UNDP and projects and Agencies.
5) Overall assistance for ICT issues:
- Together with ICT Associate assists Service Center in ICT related procurement.
- Issue and maintain access control cards for UN House staff and UNDP projects’ personnel and monitor the database. Generates statistics report related to access control cards logs, when required.
- Acts as point-of-contact for electricity, telephone and security system issues and coordinate the actions required with ICT Associate and relevant consultant(s).
- Provide other ICT support upon request.
- Provide support to Green Office Team.
6) Contribute to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participate and assist in the organization of training for UNDP staff on ICT issues.
- Contribute to identification, documenting and drafting of best practices and lessons learned to be shared in knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Consult with users on re-engineering business processes and the use of technology, products, and services; develop and conduct training in operation and use of hardware and software.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff, users, other employees, and outside partners
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Communicates effectively with people at all organizational levels
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Computer Science or other relevant area.
- Minimum 1 year of working experience in relevant areas like network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities.
- Previous experience in user-support and client service is an asset.
- Knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- Knowledge of Linux would be an asset.
- Fluency in English and Romanian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova are eligible to apply.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) as attachment instead of CV/resume.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.